Streets and homes alike around the globe have inexplicably stocked up with floods of fluorescent lights and trees, leaving much of the public scratching their heads wondering how December has suddenly arrived.
While many of us are indeed bemused, there is one certainty; some Christmas cheer is in order. And what better way to get merry than with a classic Christmas quiz?
The Sports Gazette want to know how much you know about sport at Christmas — here’s your chance to flourish (answers at the bottom of the page)
1) Which of these sports plays on Christmas day?
b) American Football
2) When was the last time an English football game was played on Christmas day?
3) Who was bottom of the Premier League on Christmas day last season?
a) Stoke City
b) West Ham United
c) West Brom
d) Swansea City
4) Which of these Countries is the odd one out in terms of Christmas (Hint = Truce)
a) United Kingdom
5) Which of these Cricketers was born on Christmas day?
a) Alastair Cook
b) Jimmy Anderson
c) Stuart Broad
d) Andrew Flintoff
6) The PDC Darts World Championship every year takes place over Christmas, but who has won it the most times?
a) Michael Van Gerwen
b) Phil Taylor
c) Gary Anderson
d) Raymond van Barneveld
7) How many teams in history have survived relegation from the Premier League having been bottom at Christmas?
8) Which female won the first ever UK & Ireland’s Women’s World Championship qualifier for the upcoming PDC Darts World Championship?
a) Marie O’Brien
b) Deta Hedman
c) Fallon Sherrock
d) Lisa Ashton
9) Henry VIII banned all but one sport from being played on Christmas day in 1541. What was the sport?
d) Real Tennis
10) Dillian Whyte is bringing Christmas to boxing with his next bout on the 22nd December, but who is he fighting?
a) Joseph Parker
b) Derek Chisora
c) Luis Ortiz
d) Kubrat Pulev
- B – American football continues to play on Christmas day. This year Oakland Raiders will take on Denver Broncos.
- D – The last time English games were played on Christmas Day was in 1959. Blackburn beat Blackpool 1-0 at home and Coventry beat Wrexham 5-3.
- D – Swansea were bottom of the table on Christmas day last year – and indeed they did get relegated.
- C – In the midst of WW1, troops from France, Germany and Britain crossed trenches to give seasonal greetings and many were involved in football matches.
- A – Alastair Cook was born on 25th December 1984
- B – Phil Taylor has won the PDC World Championship a staggering 14 times 12 times more than Michael van Gerwen in joint second.
- C – Three teams have survived relegation from the Premier League having been bottom on Christmas day. These are West Brom, Sunderland and Leicester.
- D – Lisa Ashton, 4 time BDO women’s champion overcame over 120 other players to reach the PDC World Championship for the first time.
- C – In 1541 Henry VIII introduced the Unlawful Games Act – meaning all sports were banned on Christmas day except Archery – Archery was deemed essential to maintaining the countries military strength.
- B – Dillian Whyte and Derek Chisora will square off at the O2 Arena in a hotly anticipated rematch after their first fight in 2016 ended in a split decision victory for Dillian Whyte.
Let us know what you got!
0-3 = Christmas grinch
4-7 = Christmas pudding
8-10 = Christmas miracle